Friday, April 5, 2013

'E' is for Escher


I love the drawings of M.C. Escher. As a small child, my parents had a coffee table book with about two dozen of his words and I could spend hours looking at them, tracing all the possibilities with my finger. For those not familiar with his work, Escher is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture, and tessellations.

In plain English, his works appear to have no beginning or ending. Here are a few of my favorites:


This is his "Stair" composition. Dizzying, isn't it.  And another, this time one of his tessellations, "Pegasus":


One last optical illusion for your day:


Refreshed and renewed don't forget to tune in tomorrow for 'F' is for Football!

1 comment: