Wednesday, February 6, 2013

So Many Characters, So Little Space in My Head



If it's the first Wednesday in the month, then it is Insecure Writer's Support Group. Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about several different stories at once. The sounds in my head have been deafening. As a result nothing has gotten accomplish of any great magnitude. What do you do when the characters start intermingling and the stories get muddled?

I keep notebooks, I jot story lines, everything I have done for years, but since the New Year my thoughts have been splintered and unorganized. I can see story arcs, characters evolving, all the pieces of the puzzle lay themselves out then I notice - it's the wrong story! Frustration is settling into my brain.

The problem is probably me. With undiagnosed ADD, I am juggling 4 stories in various stages of development. For me, that's a lot! Other people may do more, but I'm not organized enough to entertain that large a cast of characters. I'm trying to wrap one up, but then I need to start writing on Book 3 of the Guardian Stories. Which brings me back around to the overcrowding issue.

For the rest of this week and most of next week I have to attend a convention. I actually hope the diversion and enormous changes of scenery provide a vast fodder of information to jump start the process. If that doesn't work, I might have to resort to alcohol (and I am a cheap drunk!).

Do all writer's overstretch their imagination or am I burning myself out? Does anyone else have suggestions for maintain all the individuals in their separate corrals? I''m tired of the stampede!

No comments:

Post a Comment