Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It's Not Fat Tuesday But They Still Party In NOLA

Since this past weekend, I have been visiting a city I had managed to avoid for 49 years of my life - New Orleans, LA. Why have I avoided this wide spot on the Mississippi? Well, let me think:

1 - I don't drink. Don't get me wrong. I am not one of those holy roller Southern Baptists who disavow drinking as sinful. Jesus drank wine and so did Abraham and Noah. Drinking of itself is not wrong, it is the obsessive drinking that becomes the problem. I don't do either. Just wore out my taste buds early I guess. Watching all the drunk people in New Orleans starts out funny, but the later the hour, the worst it gets.

2 - It is below sea level. Well, most of New Orleans is below sea level. The French Quarter is 10 feet above sea level. So, always remember to always know where your life vest is, just like on a cruise ship. And when the Hurricane spotters say leave - get the heck out of Dodge (or in this case, New Orleans!)

3 - I am not a prude, but half dressed barely legal teenage girls dressed in thongs and stilettos with pasties trolling for men from the doorway of the Hustler 'Gentlemens' Club were pure raunchy. Do their mama's know they dress like that in public?

All kidding aside, this is a town with as many people types as stories about them. Everyone we have met has been friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and only a few have been truly drunk. Maybe I need to change my opinion. Perhaps another order of beignets and some cafe au lait? Bon.

Tomorrow - touring the French Quarter

No comments:

Post a Comment