Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Winter Whimsy



February is one of my weird months. Things either go really well or really bad. There never is any between. This year has been no exception.

The Winter Olympics are on. I must confess I was a little disappointed in the Opening Ceremonies. Perhaps I was expecting more from a technologically forward country like Korea but it was underwhelming.

My darling daughter, after twenty years in the home, is moving out. An empty nest awaits me and I must confess I am excited for the challenge.

I participated this winter in a tradition which dates back to when I attended college. That is the magic of no-shave winter. That's right, I didn't shave my legs since November. We did this in school as we were all female and it was a bonding experience in our freshman year that turned into a liberating statement for all of us.

That being said, the weather here has been approaching springtime temperatures, and I wanted to be ready for the change of season. Which meant breaking out the shaving creme and a new razor. So that chore is done and now I'm headed to the Walmart for some Drano. Oh well, at least my legs look fabulous as I go.

I've made the decision to go back to school a reality and need to go take the placement tests soon. A new direction for my life, and I'm finding myself excited for some writing I've been doing.

I'm learning anew that life is a journey, and I shouldn't be so eager to race for the finish line. There's still a lot of time left in my dash, and I need to embrace each moment instead of always searching for the next one. It is nice to learn new tricks as I grow up.

True confessions time: I found myself involved in writing fan fiction (I know, right?!) and it's awakened a new spirit of creativity that has been boundless. So far, I am like 100K words on this piece and only now see an ending. I'll never earn a dime from this, but I'm really proud of the work. I hope to carry this over into my real work writing and kick some writer's block ass on the three stories I have in various stages of development.

Clues: An Archive of Our Own. Username: LadySansasDirewolf
Check it out and let me know what you think!

1 comment: