Thursday, October 27, 2016

Haunted Halloween Hop - Part Four: A Love for Eternity




She wasn't certain which frightened her more, the sudden appearance of a ghost who was a complete stranger or that said apparition claimed to know her. He was an officer, with great powdered wig and ceremonial sword. Other than being transparent, he appeared as alive as the plants growing all around them.

He frowned every so slightly. "I'm sorry to have distressed you Cassandra. I don't mean to. I've been watching you attend this function for years, and your friends' parents when they were younger than you are now. I've been attached to this house for centuries, even before they found and brought my uniform home."

"Your...uniform?" Cassie managed to say the words despite the gigantic lump in her throat. "Who are you?"

"I am Major Johan Von Richter, Colonial soldier, friend of LaFayette and Washington, husband to Constance Spivey Von Richter. My wife is your friend's many times great-aunt. That's why I'm here, I died here. Constance was heavy with child, and I stayed to watch over them and I never left. But tonight I have need of a special favor which requires your assistance."

"Me?"

"Tonight is the one night of the year when the lines between the living and the dead are blurred. Constance, when she died, she didn't know I hadn't follow the light. She awaits in the afterlife without me."

Cassie blurted out, "That's horrible! Why can't you just go on your own, now that your family doesn't need you here any longer?"

Johan smiled in defeat. "You only get so many opportunities to take that path, Cassandra. And tonight, after many years, I may succeed, if you will help me. Constance can come to earth tonight, on All Hallows Eve, as it was in our time, but only for a short time. I can follow her back when the clock strikes twelve. However, we have one request: to dance together one last time in our physical forms before eternity."

Cassie frowned. "You want to use me to dance with your dead wife, by letting her take over my body? No way, I saw that freaky horror movie when I was sixteen. She takes my soul and I become some brain sucking zombie. Gross. Find another way."

He stared at her for a long moment, his cool eyes appraising her. "You are just like her, you know that? She said you would object."

"Let me speak to her. She sounds like the obviously intelligent one of the two. Perhaps between the two of us we can figure something out. What's wrong with dancing the way you are?"

"What's wrong with wanting more? We didn't have a lifetime together. Barely time enough to conceive a child. You are married to a warrior, you know the life of uncertainty that comes with the military."

Cassie felt her spine straighten as the mention of losing Sean grabbed her heart. They'd only been married three years, but lately it seemed both of their jobs were conspiring to keep them apart. Sean was about to depart for a long tour in the middle east, and all she knew was her heart was breaking. But..she realized she was only part of an equation.

"If Constance 'lives to dance' in me, whose body will you be 'waltzing along' with tonight?"

Johan smiled, completing the wan ghostly sadness that surrounded him. "It was supposed to be a blindfolded surprise. He neglected to tell me you were this difficult."

The faint whiff of Bay Lime crept from her back, as familiar arms wrapped around her waist. Lips, as familiar as her own, pressed gently against the nape of her neck.

Spinning around, confusion clouded her cornflower blue eyes as she looked at the tall, brown-eyed Irishman standing in a kilt and uniform, a cocky grin along with a tilted head completed the impossible.

"Sean?"



HAUNTED HALLOWEEN HOP: http://casimclean.com/aba-halloween-hop/






























5 comments:

  1. Really enjoying this 'serialised' ghost story. Thanks and Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Can't wait for the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the excerpt! Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete